Friday, May 10, 2013

Using Heat on Natural Hair

Occasionally I use heat on my natural hair.  Before using heat my hair has to be prepped.  The first step is always shampooing and conditioning. Sometimes I will do a deep conditioning if its that time of the month. Next I apply leave-in conditioner and twist my hair into chunky twists.  When the hair is almost dry I will use the tension method to blow dry (warm setting) the hair dry.

About a month ago I was in Walmart and ran across grapeseed oil.  I have been trying to get my hands on some grapeseed oil but it was so expensive at the health food stores.  Walmart had it for $4.98 and its cold pressed which is very important to me.  I mentioned all of that because I used grapeseed oil as my heat protectant before flat ironing.

The heat of your flat iron is very important. NEVER turn it up to the highest setting.  I used 410 degrees but u may need it to be lower than that.  My ends don't get straight with the first go round so I will use a small tooth comb on the ends before I do the second round.  The ends will become straighter but if they don't I will not run the flat iron over it again.




 


I was very pleased with the results that were achieved but, I had a dilemma about what to do to keep my hair from reverting when I exercise.  My solution was bantu knots!  It was actually a win win situation because I could wear my hair straight for longer without having to flat iron again (which was a no no anyway).

After about 4 days I decided that my hair needed some moisture so I used a little moisturizer, a little water and sealed with coconut oil followed by 4 loose braids.  The next morning my hair looked like this:



This was a super cute, super straight braid-out and I loved it!  I have been following this process for the last few nights.

I have no doubt that my curls will return once I decide to shampoo my hair.  Currently I'm using Loreal's no sulfate line and I'm loving it.

If you have any questions and comments please leave them below.

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment